Puran Poli - Happy Holi and I am back to blogging


Happy Holi!!!
Puran Poli

Honestly, I was in a 'blogging boredom', maybe it was the weather...or..maybe not, not very certain. But atleast till next boredom season strikes, I do have plenty to write about, a resolution I have made to myself. Holi Haiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!

Ok, so this year too as the tradition goes, I did make a few Puran Polis/Bobatloo..or whatever each one calls it in their region. However, just a day before I realised that we dnt have much Chana Dal (just a couple of table spoons). So I did some research on mixing it with Tuar Dal. I found out that people make it with either of the dals, no mix and match. This all the more gave me some motivation to trying mixing them both and see what happens (yeah, watch too many Curious George with my son). The Puran Poli results were the same like every year. I did not find much difference in taste, ultimately it tasted the same with a stuffing of cooked dal, jaggery, nutmeg powder and cardomom powder stuffed in dough balls.

Here is the recipe I usually follow (measurements could have a few ups and downs).
Stuffing
1 cup Jaggery
1 cup Dal (Toor or Chana Dal, this year I took half Toor and half Chana)
1 tsp cardamom powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg powder

Dough
1/2 cup Maida/ All Purpose Flour
1/3 cup chapati flour
1/4 cup oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp turmeric

For Stuffing, pressure cook the dal till completely mushy.
Than let all the water evaporate on low flame without burning (do keep stirring in between, scrapping the sides along).
Add jaggery (it would be sensible not to add all the jaggery at the same time, but keep checking the sweetness after adding a few tbs till you get your desired sweetness).
Once it all comes as a dry mass, switch of the gas. You could food process this stuffing for an even smoothness and texture. I confess to get lazy sometimes and just stuff it as it is.

Dough making: Make a loose dough and keep it covered with a wet cloth on top, maybe for around 30 min.

Now make Puran Polis just like you would make a paratha with the stuffing. Remember, the dough ball should be smaller than the stuffing ball. Roll it with a rolling pin..Roast on a tawa simmering with homemade ghee (oops, store bought also works;).

We are used to eating it with warm milk or "Katachi Amti" (recipe in my next post though no pics)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Lunch : Spinach Panini

Whole Wheat Pasta with Asparagus and Grape Tomatoes

The Real Pearl :Barley